Monday, January 02, 2006

It's Twenty-Aught-Six, Y'all

(listening to "The Great Concerts," by the Dave Brubeck Quartet)
What can I say? If one judges 2005 by headlines, it was one of the most God-awful, disaster-filled years that this planet has seen in a while. The environment is screwed up, war abounds and human nature is still human nature. However, when I take the small, me-centered view (which is easier and more quickly gratifying anyway), it's been a pretty decent year. My grandmother's passing was bittersweet; she had wanted to go for some time, but my nostalgic side awoke and yearned for a multitude of bygone gramma stuff. Things would mean nothing if you could have them forever, though.
In contrast to the previous two years, Lindz and I have not moved, changed jobs or gotten married this past year. That prevents quite a bit of turmoil right there. We've been a bit bored and unsatisfied at some times, blissfully comfortable at others. It's simple and quiet here. Perhaps 2006 will be a more challenging, fulfilling year. I wish to prevent my brain and body from getting any softer, and getting into a better job would be lovely. The present job is tolerable most of the time, but I want more.

I'm not usually given to New Year's resolutions because I believe attempts at self-improvement should happen all the time. But what the hell:

1)I will continue to not rot my brain watching network television.
2)I will continue driving a small, paid-for, fuel-efficient car.
3)I will continue to make Lindz's lunch and morning tea every day.
4)I will finish reading at least one book from the pile beside my bed.
5)I will fix the leak in the master bathroom shower.
6)I will have a glass of wine (got that one done already).
7)I will brew beer.
8)I will destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force.

2 comments:

Mr. Waterhouse said...

I am with you, young Jedi.

Sleepwalker said...

All worthy objectives, Padawan.