Thursday, February 23, 2006

I'm Still Here

First, the food. I made this salad of spinach, arugula, julienned carrots, red bell pepper, red onion, toasted almonds, shaved parmesan, flank steak and blood oranges. We dressed it simply with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, coarse salt and pepper. It was pretty durn good.


I've been lazy about posting here. Sometimes I don't feel like I have much to say. Days in the cubicle farm trudge along like clones in grey suits marching off a cliff's edge: all the same, all fruitless. Well, not entirely fruitless. The paycheck serves its purpose. Work is work, whether or not one applies a dreary metaphor to it. Life away from work has been just fine. But...

My surviving grandmother had a major stroke. She suffered a very serious medical incident, but, when I take the long view, things are good. She is in a better nursing home than we hoped for. She and her daughter (my mother) are speaking for the first time in years. Grandpa is being looked after by the family more than previously was the case. As my sister aptly put it, a giant alarm clock has gone off.

I liked it better when my family and I were immortal. The years have slithered by stealthily, and now they grip my heart with an iron fist. I am fat, stiff and slow. Family members, whom I once viewed as eternal and immutable, wane and yield their lives. Members of my wife's family suffer various maladies as well. All I can do is get busy and live more.

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

First of all, you have hit upon one of life's most important truths: salads with meat, fruit and nuts are the bomb.

No pics, but this week Tim and I enjoyed salads of iron skillet grilled chicken breasts (Tim even got perfect cross-hatches of grill marks on them), dried cherries, toasted pecans, Maytag blue cheese and mixed baby spring greens.

Yeah, immortality was pretty sweet. The days when no matter what, you could go to the grandparents' houses and be plied with pink-iced animal shaped cookies, soda, candy, cake, and a blind eye to whatever shenanigans you chose to indulge in. Now we gotta be all grown up and responsible.

Maybe that's why there's beer and wine...

Scott said...

Amen, brother. You gotta fight the entropy.