Saturday, May 17, 2008

Epicurean Saturday

Today has been good. Lindz and I went to the Farmers' Market (and forgot the camera) as well as our favorite wine store and a store with an astonishing beer selection (let's just say I drank Dragon's Milk Oak Barrel Ale on the deck this afternoon). We got lots of produce and good stuff, so we were quite pleased with ourselves when we headed home. Lindz's back is doing quite well now, so our activities were not obstructed. A selection of my activities (as photographed by Lindsey) are:
I roasted some coffee (Kenya Peaberry Deep River Estate, to be exact). Here I am, cooling it and removing the chaff:
Here is our North Carolina grass-fed ribeye steak, posing in front of one of the most fabulous bottles of wine we've had in a while. It's a concentrated, jewel-smooth syrah from South Australia. The aftertaste goes on and on. If you find yourself in a wine store with anything made by Mollydooker in front of you, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY. It won't be there for long. It's the shiz-nit.
I made mayonnaise from scratch. I used local, free-range egg for it. Marvelous, luxurious stuff.
It was indispensable for this. It's Life Changing Potato Salad:
Roasted red potatoes and elephant garlic from the Farmers' Market, sage, thyme and rosemary from the yard, some onions and capers and the aforementioned mayonnaise. I corrected the color as best I could; cameras don't like energy-saving light bulbs. I coined the name when I had it for lunch at Childress Winery some time ago. We had this with the steak and wine along with corn on the cob. A very lovely meal. Lindz will hopefully post about dessert, her excellent blackberry/sage ice cream.
P.S. I did something else this weekend. I'm drinking it right now. I infused a bottle of Bacardi light rum with as much fresh mint as I could cram in there. Very nice on the rocks.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Drool.
Glad Lindz's back is better.

Sleepwalker said...

We wants everything. Especially the Life-Changing Potato Salad.

eretria said...

Psst. Are you two still alive? Haven't heard from you in over a month now ...