Monday, July 04, 2011

A Traditional Independence Day Meal

Lindz was wanting something spicy involving seafood. She's really been digging Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook lately, so here's where we ended up: Banh mi with shrimp and scallops. What could be more typically American than Vietnamese sandwiches that are clearly a fusion resulting from French colonialism?
I made bread from scratch, but I did it on the grill as a big flat loaf instead of as a baguette in the oven. I marinated the shrimp and scallops in ponzu sauce, garlic ginger and sesame oil. I grilled them under a threatening thunderstorm sky, and we smeared the bread with sambal- and lemon-spiked mayo. We heaped it with cilantro, shaved carrots and bean sprouts. I drank Lone Oak Vin du Roi 2005 with it. I was very happy.

No comments: