Sunday, March 06, 2005

Double-Secret Wellington of the Far East


 Posted by Hello

This morning, I sliced a block of extra firm tofu into four equal slices. I pressed some excess water out of them, and I marinated them all day in soy sauce, white wine, sweet chili sauce, minced garlic, grated ginger and a bit of sesame oil. When it came time to start cooking, I took the tofu out of the marinade and placed them on my handy-dandy jellyroll pan (exactly halfway between a cookie sheet and one of those pans you get in a toaster oven). I put the marinade in a saucepan with some sugar and slowly warmed it. Sort of a spicy Teriyaki. I cut some carrots into matchsticks and put some on top of each hunk of tofu. I covered them with puff pastry. I made some sticky rice. I popped the wellingtons into a 400 degree oven and thickened the sauce with a bit of cornstarch. All the while, I was sipping Rosemount shiraz. 25 minutes or so later, they were done.


 Posted by Hello
Inside view. They were pretty good, but no meat. Perhaps smothering the whole thing in fried chicken will fix that.

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Hmmm, interesting...

Scott said...

You're a madman. This is the kind of outside-the-box thinking I love. You oughta make a living as a chef.