Sunday, December 04, 2005

Messiah

(listening to organ music of Anthoni Van Noordt)
Golly, I feel pretty durned cultured. This evening, Lindz and I attended a performance of Handel's Messiah at Duke University Chapel. The wide-eyed rapture I sustained during its three hours of music is evidence that I inherited my late father's love of sacred music. I suppose my cd collection would also serve as evidence, but enduring those hard pews at Duke is the true test. Lindz's tailbone still hurts; bless her.
The performance was fabulous, the orchestra, choir and soloists were top-notch. The glorious place where they did it was what made it so magical for me. A gothic church with exquisite stained glass windows and a vaulted ceiling 73 feet above one's head will take one out of a humdrum state of mind. The Messiah is a great piece of work, both in quality and quantity. After three hours, you feel like you've gotten your dose of couth.
Dad would have burst with glee; he traveled to many cathedrals in Europe in his days, but a performance of this caliber in such a grand church would have really been something special for him. I enjoyed it enough for the both of us.

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Sounds truly seasonal and wonderful. You're lucky to have an opportunity to take this in.

Anonymous said...

I hear you're coming to town for xmas. Can we make plans? I'd love to have you guys over to my house for an early dinner one of those nights... early so you can make the rounds to others while you're here. Let me know; I really want to make sure we get to hang for a spell.