Monday, October 02, 2006

Our Backs are Sore


Lindz and I tiled the bathroom floor on Sunday. It's deeply satisfying, but we understand why people pay contractors to do it for them. I had finally gottem a tub and a vanity on Friday (items crucial to the project but delayed by my lack of a truck).

We broke a few tiles until I figured out a technique for neatly snapping tiles on the diagonal. We laid out every tile, cut tiles as necessary, and numbered every one. We took a photo of the layout to give ourselves a map. The fun really began at that point.

Mixing thinset mortar is quite a thing. I was amazed at how much fun it wasn't. An electric drill emits quite a lovely odor and smoke when it's asked to mix mortar. I set the drill and paddle mixer aside before it burst into flame, and I switched to mixing with an old closet rod.

Anyway, Lindz and I are an effective tile-laying team. We feel good about our marriage; we spent an entire day on a laborious, detail-oriented project without an unkind word spoken (or shouted).

3 comments:

Scott said...

That's great. Yeah, mixing mortar (and grout) can be a real workout. Viva la premixed!

Sleepwalker said...

*LOL* I totally admire your do-it-yourself attitude. You don't find much of that at our house. The tile set on the angle is a cool trick that creates the illusion of a bigger room.

Anonymous said...

yo, jerk. i got your brother something cool for his birthday today that you'll probably get to enjoy together. be sure to imagine my middle finger while you're drinking it :D