Monday, August 20, 2007

Suisin 210mm Gyutou

Ahh, there's nothing like a new knife. Lindz has yet to fathom my consuming fascination with cutlery, much less my newfound desire to know all about Japanese cutlery. This knife was made in Sakai, near Osaka. It is the Suisin Nihon-ko Western Style Gyutou, 210 millimeters in length. It is of carbon steel, so this is the only time anyone will ever see it shine. I prepared dinner with it, and it has already begun to develop its gray patina. It is half the weight and thickness of a European knife of the same length. It is perfectly balanced and wicked sharp. My Viking knife (Ringil) is a good knife, but it is the opposite of this Suisin. The Viking (made in Solingen, Germany) is heavy, thick and well balanced. The Suisin (I have decided to name it Usagi, the Japanese word for rabbit. Yes, I know this is intolerably nerdy) is light, thin and perfectly balanced. I like them both. This Japanese piece, however, seems to approach the "extension of your hand" experience much more closely. The shape of the blade is more to my liking as well. I will have to become familiar with it, and, more importantly, learn how to keep it sharp -- a Sakai knifesmith grinds a different edge on his wares than a Solingen one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lindz, i believe i may have had something to do with this one... sorry!

it's perdy, man. good work!

doubt i'll be seeing your brother while he's here, but i sure had fun in NC!

enjoy your little heat spell!

Sleepwalker said...

I'm not sure I have ever had the hand extension experience. With any kitchen tool. I suddenly feel so...unfulfilled.

Anyway, Usagi is a damn fine looking blade. May it give you many good years of slicing and dicing.

Scott said...

A beautiful tool. May it serve you well. It's yet another example of all that is excellent about the Far East.

I Have To Have It said...

When you buy *another* knife, I think the look I give you is the same exact look as the look you give me when I buy *another* pair of shoes. So part of me doesn't understand the fascination with knives, but yet part of me absolutely understands it.