Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Closure

Yes, after the two peanut-encrusted turds which we call Episodes I and II, Lucas finally made something that resembles a Star Wars film again. Revenge of the Sith has its cinematic shortcomings, most notably corny dialogue, wooden acting and excessive reliance on special effects, but it's a real movie.

Emotional attachment to the characters is what does it. That's what does it in any movie. You can't get attached to a too-perfect, two-dimensional character. You've got to have some nice, deep flaws. A respectable dose of tragedy, strife and loss are necessary, and they are nicely spiced up with dismemberment and space battles in this case.

Now that we have some closure, I wish Lucas would go back and edit the trite, cutesy garbage out of the last two episodes.

The animated series Clone Wars is good stuff, though. I recommend it.

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Yep, hard to believe this is it. You can tell in the soundtrack that John Williams knows this is it, too. The ending is full of bombast and more flourishes than ever, and is a reprise of all the main themes from the last 25 years.

This film contains all the same old problems as the others, true. But I enjoyed the ride of this one much more than the others (I'm still quite biased about Ep I only because of ONE character). I like the fact that my mind keeps wandering back to it all day, and I have that nagging desire to go see it again at the first opportunity. Yoda rocked, Obi-Wan stole the show, and Papatine's evil and grotesqueness defied belief. And the luscious scenery...

Mr. Waterhouse said...

I have been waiting for your review. Mine, of course, is similar. Jar Jar Binks? I found it hard to overlook the complete lack of acting talent and stilted dialogue. Ugh. But it was worthy. Best since episode six. Episode four still is uber alles.

M.