Tuesday, May 31, 2005

SmokeDroid, The Home-Made Smoker o' Death


 Posted by Hello


Posted by Hello


Can't wait to use it.

The Specifications:
It's a 31-gallon steel garbage can with 1/4" x 4" machine screws threaded into it (reinforced with large fender washers inside and out) 16" from the bottom of the can. An 18 1/2" Webber grate rests on these screws. I poked a hole just below the grate level and inserted a foot-long deep-fryer thermometer. The heat comes from an electric hot plate. I will probably use an iron skillet full of hickory chips, and a pie tin suspended above that to deflect any drippings off of the heat. Fine-tuning may be required, but I'm generally optimistic about the design.

6 comments:

Scott said...

She's beautiful. Tell us more- what'd you use for a heatin' element and all?

Bryan said...

Brilliant! absolutely brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I'm on my way, get some pork smoking on it ASAP. I've seen a similiar design that used a smoky joe type charcoal grill to throw off some heat but what I like about the heating element you have is the temperature should be cooler. This might allow you to cold smoke which is perfect for cheese, fish, or smoking your own bacon. Bacon.... (Homer Simpson drooling noises)

Sleepwalker said...

Alton would be so proud.

Paul McDonald said...

Hey, that thing looks pretty darn cool! Yes, Alton Brown would be proud!

I, of course, have to show you my own cardboard box smoker... hope you don't mind...

http://cardboardboxsmoker.freehosting.net/

Anonymous said...

Warning Look out for zinc volitizing. too much zinc is toxic
Charlie in denver