Sunday, August 21, 2005

Carnitas, Yardwork and Beck

(listening to "Que Onda Guero," by Beck)
Another low-key weekend at the Blauhaus. Lindz and I had a fab-o-marvelous time in San Diego, and we certainly enjoyed our time at Lake Norman last weekend, but it sure is nice to have a weekend alone here at the house. Friday evening, Lindz put together a very tasty soup of sausages, roasted potatoes, tomatoes and other goodies.
("Missing," by Beck)
I made us a couple of sidecars, and we enjoyed a quiet evening. Saturday morning, we did some yardwork. It's SO EXCREMENTALLY HOT Here. Lindz pulled ivy, and I did a lot of long-overdue pruning (I recently purchased one of those long poles with a cutter on the end; you pull the rope to lop off a branch). I cleared some branches that were touching the house (makes it too easy for bugs to waltz in) and generally opened things up in the yard. I was up on the roof as well as on the ground doing this, and soon I was pouring sweat.
("Broken Drum," Beck)
Lindz was helping me drag the branches into the remote, shaded corner of the back yard when she stumbled on the pod of a sweet gum tree. She skinned her knee, rolled her ankle and banged her shoulder. She lost interest in being outside at that point. I got us some lunch, and we loafed around inside for a while. I got restless and decided to go wandering. In addition to simply wanting to be out and about, I wanted to see if any new beers were on store shelves yet since the law was changed (North Carolina's silly, backward law limiting beer alcohol to 6% was just changed to 15%). I wanted to find some Belgians, but I didn't see anything yet. More searching is needed, and it may simply be too soon. I continued to wander. I want to get more familiar with this state, so some random wandering is a good thing. I went to Carrboro. It's a funky little town, and my knowledge of it is very cursory. Here are some very encouraging things about it:
1)Squirrel Nut Zippers are from there
2)It looked old, funky and charming (lots of brick) when I stopped in there
3)The best Mexican food I've had so far in North Carolina came from Carrburritos. It's a tiny little place. I had a big, tasty carnitas burrito. The salsa from that place is excellent, too. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that it had FLAVOR, an unfamiliar concept to most Mexican restaurants around here. It tasted like roasted pork and arbol chiles. Too bad it's 35 miles from the house.
("Reasons," Earth, Wind & Fire)
Anyway, it's worth exploring that town a bit more.
Beck's Album, Guero, is wonderful. He did it with the Dust Brothers. It's an entertaining aural flea market. Cool-sounding, incomprehensible lyrics. Great beats. I listened to it while I motored around Carrboro.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Hope Lindsey's feeling better!
This beer law change is certainly an exciting development...

Sleepwalker said...

Glad to hear you found some decent Mexican food. And it's about time your beer law changed. Give it time, and hopefully you will start finding some things turning up in the stores. Other people have got to have been waiting for this, too.

Your yard's a hell of a lot worse to deal with than ours. I've been feeling like a lazy slob for not wanting to deal with our weeds and feeling like just plain giving up on the whole thing. And we don't get anything close to your heat. I commend you on your jungle taming efforts.