Thursday, August 11, 2005

America's Finest City

(listening to "Doors of Perception" by Thievery Corporation)

Lindz and I just spent almost a week in San Diego. I lived in San Diego for eight years, and she was born and raised there. I hadn't been back for two years (not since I got in the car and drove here to NC). It was a bit emotional for us. First of all, we stopped for super nachos on the way to Lindz's parent's house from the airport:



Yes, it was a luxurious orgy of fat, salt and flavor. In addition to this, we were bathed in the cool ocean air (translation: the not sauna-like air).

("Whatever Happened to Gus" by Medeski, Martin and Wood)

I took a lovely stroll the following morning, enjoying the air, palm trees and funky houses of Crest Drive in Cardiff. I squeezed orange juice from the two trees in the yard (they are absolutely laden with fruit; I loaded my suitcase with it when I came home). I hung out with my brother for the first time in two years (we had been roommates for eight). We delightedly wandered the aisles of 99 Ranch, perusing the Asian delights (I began the process of filling my suitcase with goodies: mysterious flavors of bouillon cubes, ginger flavored hot sauce and a liter of top-quality peanut oil). We slurped wonderful noodles at some little place in Kearney Mesa. We met up with our friend Charlotte and had beers at Pizza Port in Carlsbad. I particularly love that place. They brew excellent beer there. Charlotte, my brother and I sipped beers together, as we had done numerous times before. The evening progressed to Lindz joining us at Bryan's apartment. We drank mojitos on his patio as he prepared homemade fish tacos for us. His roommates had three guests from Spain. It all reminded me of the days of old: sitting on a patio with a bunch of diverse people, eating and drinking. We drank Sanford Pinot Noir, one of my favorites. It was so lovely, so natural.

("Professeur Suicide" by Rhinocerose)

to be continued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you had a good time out here. can't wait to hear more about your experience on your blog.

--charlotte

Sleepwalker said...

We were thinking about you last week and hoping your trip was all you hoped for. Sounds like it was!