Sunday, August 22, 2004

Idleness, Laundry and Alcohol - the Life of an Absolute Stud


(listening to "Bloomdido", by Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie)

Yes, I enjoyed a couple of gin and tonics Friday afternoon. I made one for Lindz when she got home from work. They were sublime (actually the limes were inside of them, so you could say they were 'circumlime.' Har har). We took a stroll around the lake. We had some dinner at The Taproom. We watched some television, and I can't even remember what was on. A generous dose of Olympic coverage was in there, I'm sure.

Saturday morning, we washed and waxed our cars. Lindsey went to Winston-Salem to hang out with a friend from school, so I was left to live an evening of bachelor life. It was white-knuckle excitement. I browsed Borders, and I got one of those value-priced Verve Jazz cd's. Wonderful stuff, I tell you. I got #38, Django Reinhardt. I've been a huge fan of his for years.

I came home and had another gin and tonic while I listened to Django. Later, I browsed Home Depot and got a garden hose repair kit and invested thirteen dollars in an axe. The idea of splitting my own firewood is just so rugged and manly. My driveway was clogged with beautiful women who were attracted to my hose-mending, woodchopping studliness. Perhaps I exude a natural musk that makes them drop whatever they're doing and seek me out.

Well, perhaps not exactly.

The rest of my evening consisted of sitting on my ass watching History Channel programming. I woke up this morning on the couch, lights and television on, sleep marks on my face.

(listening to "Movin' Wes," by Wes Montgomery)

I am just a crazy, devil-may-care stud. Guys like Orlando Bloom and Colin Farrell are wet cheese compared to my pulsating, laugh-in-the-icy-face-of-death mojo. If that's not enough excitement for you, I did laundry this morning. Darks and whites, people. I can do all that shit - different temperatures and fabrics. I can get crazy in the laundry room if I need to. Presently, I'm currently waiting for a batch of rosemary bread dough to rise. This is the first time I've harvested any sprigs off of my rosemary plant (recently purchased at Whole Foods), and it doesn't seem to be as intensely fragrant as the plant that Bryan and I had in San Diego. We'll see. I'll probably repair my garden hose today and read a couple of chapters of The Odyssey in the hammock.

It's not easy being such a man of adventure, but It's my cross to bear.

2 comments:

Mr. Waterhouse said...

So, you're trying to tell me that gin and tonic mix? C'mon!

M.

Clare said...

I love that moment when the tonic fizzes up. Which gin do you use? Bombay Sapphire and Gordon's are my favourites. But I'm (shame) on supermarket own-brand at the mo because of financial pressures.