Friday, April 08, 2005

Friday Night's Labor of Love

(listening to "Band of Gypsys" by Jimi Hendrix)
Lindz and I didn't know what we felt like doing on this fine, rainy Friday night. She seemed content reading, so I started puttering around the kitchen.


Posted by Hello

I made pasta from scratch. Tagliatelle, to be exact.


Posted by Hello

I simmered a tomato and sausage sauce while the pasta rolling and cutting was going on.


Posted by Hello

I drank wine the whole time, of course. This makes me think of Luis, who is presently in Senegal in the Peace Corps. We had many eating and drinking evenings together, and now he's working his ass off in a land where a life of pleasure and ease is a distant echo, or a ludicrous fiction. I recall, in clear detail, a day when he and I spent an entire day making ravioli from scratch and drinking chianti.

Lindz helped me with rolling the pasta, but mostly she found it odd that I suddenly decided to make pasta from scratch. It's quite a bit more laborious than pulling a box of linguine out of the pantry. Ah, Luis (better known as Don Luisito). You're a man who understands Herculean labor at certain times (making pasta from scratch) and unbelievable sloth at others (only being employed when absolutely necessary).

2 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Pasta has been the one thing where all the work does not result in a better tasting product. In my opinion. I usually pull out my full repertoire of four-letter words every time I use the pasta roller. What I need to do is just make idiot-simple giant ravioli, and have a fantastic filling. As little cutting and screwing around as possible, and let the focus be on some sumptuous cheesy or nutty filling.

Until I forget the hassle of the last time I made pasta and get the wild idea to pull out the pasta maker again, it will be a box o' industrial-made stuff. But I'm glad you went to the trouble to do it, and enjoyed it.

Mister Orange said...

No pasta rolling machine was involved here, other than the rolling pin. I haven't gotten around to spending a hundred bucks on the Kitchenaid rolling attachment (I want it because it doesn't occupy one of your hands with a crank.
As far as the swearing goes, practice, a bit of time for drying (when you let the pasta dry a bit, it's not so fiendishly sticky) and lightly floured cookie sheets are necessary.