Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Grilled Pineapple and the Simple Life

I have often complained of corporate drudgery lately, but sometimes I really see the beauty of a simple life. My wife and I went to the store last night and got some groceries. We looked around for a gas station that refills propane tanks, but to no avail. Fortunately, our tank is not yet empty.

We came back home and started dinner. I took the propane tank back out of the car, reconnected it and lit the grill. I sliced a fresh pineapple and poured some soy sauce on it. Lindz salted the chicken breasts. The pineapple slices hit the grate with an infinitely pleasing hiss, and I tucked a few pieces of alder into the corner of the grill. Lindsey and I stood on the deck in the lovely, balmy evening and sipped our Hoppy Hour IPA.. The pineapple was coming along nicely, and I moved it to the upper rack. I added the chicken breasts and drizzled the remaining soy sauce over them.

Everything was tasty, and we watched The Office afterwards. A thoroughly satisfying and unadventurous evening.

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

Yep, you have hit upon the key to true happiness. Why some people insist on living life in the fast lane and then push the hyperdrive joystick is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

Grilled pineapple?? Ohmygawd, how could you possibly eat it that way and freshly cut also? Don't you realize that proper pineapple comes in cans with Dole® on the side and sugary sweet syrup.

Actually grilled pineapple is a favorite of ours and if you really want some good eats, make kebobs with pineapple, chunks of chicken, onion, and cherry tomatoes. The secret is to put a piece of pineapple next to the chicken so it bastes it as it grills. Hoppy Hour IPA? I'm looking forward to having this again, I loved it when you sent it to me a year ago.

Tim otherwise known as "Anonymous"

Scott said...

A marinade based on pineapple juice never fails with chicken...
That beer sounds awesome, can't remember if I've had that particular IPA but I need some.

What you described evokes hazy memories of our other life, before kids- or, an ideal vacation. Yes, some people do insist on living in the fast lane, but it's not always voluntary. The fast lane has a way of taking things over on it's own.