Friday, April 01, 2005

Steak Salad

I stopped at the store on the way home from work last night. I got a bottle of Casillero del Diablo Carmenere (a very tasty, juicy Chilean red wine), some thin-sliced bottom round steak, feta cheese and strawberries.
We already had some nice spring greens in the fridge. I put my big, shiny black iron skillet on the heat and pulled out my little food processor. I salted the meat and set it aside.
I made a salad dressing by putting some olive oil and balsamic vinegar into the processor. A bit of flavor and body came from some chunks of carrots and strawberries. I finished it off with salt, pepper, a bit of garlic and some sesame oil. The shrieking action of the processor emulsified everything nicely (the noise is the only drawback to the little Cuisinart).
By this time, the skillet was hot enough to emit a bit of smoke. I spritzed it with oil and threw the meat in (with a very satisfying sizzle). It cooked pretty fast, and I pulled the meat when it started releasing some juice. I rested it for a few minutes while I crumbled feta over the greens.
With my trusty Viking blade, I sliced the steak thinly on the bias. Soon, Lindz and I were eating a pretty respectable strawberry vinaigrette steak salad.
It was a good end to a day that began drearily. To even further indulge in excitement, we spent some time laughing at what we saw on the Dumb Laws website. Finally, we went to Goodberry's for ice cream.

1 comment:

Sleepwalker said...

Lordy yes, steak salad. We like it with blue cheese, toasted walnuts, spring greens, grape tomatoes and plenty of black pepper. I make one of two horseradish-based dressings: a creamy one with sour cream and mayo if I'm feeling indulgent, or a vinaigrette with balsamic vinegar if I feel the cholesterol is creeping too high.