Saturday, June 04, 2005

An Entire Day Spent on One Meal....

And well worth it. Here's the Boston Butt, after about 6 of the 11.5 hours of 210-degree hickory smoke:


Posted by Hello

SmokeDroid performed well. I tossed a towel over him to reduce lost heat, and it leveled off nicely at about 210 degrees. I also recreated (reasonably well, at least, the roasted potato salad from Childress. I also made cole slaw. Here is the result:


Posted by Hello

The pork was pretty damned good. Smoky, succulent and a bit salty. It had a tasty crust on the outside. A fine day.

3 comments:

Sleepwalker said...

I know the meat gods must have been pleased by the fragrance of your offerings upon the altar of Summer Barbecue. Your deck and back yard can only have smelled like heaven while this was going on. For nearly 12 luxurious hours.

I too made an attempt at the Childress tater salad again, based on your description. Pretty easy, and good.

Scott said...

It was a close call there for a moment- I nearly asphyxiated on my saliva.
I presume you soak yer wood chips beforehand; did you need to add more moisture and/or chips during the process? And how long does it take to get up to temperature?

Mister Orange said...

Since there is no open flame, no soaking of chips is necessary. They smoulder but do not burn. I did, however, switch to large chunks because chips don't last long enough. SmokeDroid gets up to temp in 20 minutes or so, but a beach towel thrown over the top reduces heat loss and keeps it steady at 100 degrees Celcius. The iron skillet's seasoning was totally trashed by the end of the day, though.