Sunday, July 31, 2005

The Weekend

Lindz took this picture yesterday evening. She was unhappy with the blurriness that resulted from her turning off the flash, but I rather like the warmth of the image. You can see, from left to right, the sage, purple and cinnamon basil (rear), thyme (front), chocolate mint, Kentucky Colonel mint, rosemary and flat-leaf parsley (in the same pot as the rosemary). These herbs have been a source of enjoyment and pride, and they have enhanced my cooking (the mint has enhanced my cocktails). They are all bathed in the warm light of the recently (and quite masterfully) installed deck floodlight.

Posted by Picasa

We had a very tasty dinner on Saturday. Lindz got some trout from Whole foods, and she made a very fine green bean salad with a mustard vinaigrette, and I roasted some potatoes on The Almighty Supa-Dupa Quantum Leap in Potato Technology cast iron pan, which I tossed with some herbs, mustard, a splash of vinegar and a squeeze of molasses. The trout received very simple treatment: salt, pepper and a spritz of oil, and I grilled it on heavy duty foil (saves a lot of swearing and lost fish) with alder chips a-smoldering.

Posted by Picasa

The heat of recent weeks was broken by a storm system that rolled through the state. Currently, we're down in the frosty lower 80's, as opposed to where we were just a few days ago. Earlier in the week, as I trudged into work, it was about 90 degrees (this was 9 or so in the morning). I said to myself, "Gee, back in Michigan, this is usually as hot as it ever gets all day." I was thankful to have left my truck-loading days at UPS behind me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent! Our Herbs are looking great also. Gardening is such a joy, and WOW the rewards.

another interesting site we started, check it out politicsunusual.com

laterz
jon

Sleepwalker said...

Herbs are about the only thing I have luck growing. Those, and maybe moss roses. My tomato plants make Charlie Brown's Christmas tree look fabulously lush. But we can always buy maters at the local farmers' markets. And I've been eating a bouquet of basil every day in some form, either crammed in sammiches or salads.

Stay cool!