Thursday, December 20, 2007

Raleigh Stollen 2007



This year's version is without icing or powdered sugar, and it does not contain candied fruits, only dried fruits: pineapple, apricots and blueberries. The spices are nutmeg and cinnamon, and the nuts are toasted pecans.

I baked a large loaf for a potluck at work and a smaller one for us at home. Historically, the dough is folded in such a way as to symbolize the infant Jesus wrapped in swaddling clothes. I went one step further and made a loaf as big as a healthy newborn. Born late. To a mother who took too many prenatal vitamins. And human growth hormone.

Anyway, people liked it, and none of the monster loaf made it home with me at the end of the day.

4 comments:

Scott said...

Sounds like my kind of that there fruit bread. Real fruit, not the candied stuff.

eretria said...

So this is what you deprived me of by not making it when I was there, hm? (What? Of course it's all about me!)
I shall go and cry bitter tears now.

Sleepwalker said...

Is that true about the swaddling clothes, or more BS :)? My remaining ovary must have picked up the signal and known you were making stollen, because I got inspired and made ours yesterday, too. I do use the fakey red candied cherries. They are just too essential a part of Grandma Kueffner's recipe alive.

No bitter tears necessary, Ellen! Lovin' from my oven is on the way!

Mister Orange said...

The thing about the infant Jesus is from The Joy of Cooking. It seems plausible to me; food symbolism is nothing new. The shape of croissants has something to do with the Turkish Empire.