Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Acts of God, Wiring and 33

I have been remiss in my blogging duties of late. I've been happily wrapped up in the not-so-exciting but satisfying management of my household. Lindz and I enjoyed a sublime and lazy Labor Day weekend at Lake Norman with her folks. Naturally, we spent some time discussing Katrina, its effects and the topics that it has dragged into the light of day. Here's a few of my thoughts, in no particular order of importance (or unimportance, whichever is your perspective):
1) I'm glad I drive a small, fuel-efficient car.
2) I'm thankful that my loved ones and my home are safe.
3) What the hell do you expect when you live below sea level in a hurricane zone?
4) Wal-Mart has a better-organized logistics infrastructure than FEMA does, and that's why Wal-Mart trucks full of supplies rolled into the disaster area first. Perhaps the federal government can learn from corporate entities which are profit- and results-driven.
5) "I can't wait to sit on Trent Lott's front porch when his house is rebuilt." Wow, Bush is such a fucking retard that I'm ashamed to be a member of the same species. Even his fellow Republicans are beginning to wonder what sort of brain-damaging fumes are leaking into the Oval Office. Wait- strike that, he doesn't spend that much time there; he's on vacation all the damned time.
6) Good things will come of this; wisdom is dearly bought.
7) Refugee is a racist word? Get a life, Jesse Jackson.

On a lighter note, I installed outdoor speakers under the soffits overlooking my deck. I've spent time on other various projects around the house, and it is very pleasant indeed to relax on the deck with my wife and a glass of wine. It makes me thankful for my blessings and mindful of the fickle nature of the world. We are always in God's hands. An Arab quote (which I paraphrase to the best of my memory's ability) says, "Call on God, but tie your camel securely also."

On an even lighter note, Lindz gave me a pasta roller for my 33rd birthday, and my mother gave me a big box of half-pound burger patties from Kansas City Steaks (via QVC). Several burgers have already been enjoyed on the deck with newly wired musical accompaniment.

I'm just about a third of a century old, and the world is not making any more sense than it ever has.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Of course Wal-Mart is concerned about human life. Without human life, there would be no profits.
At 40% of a century, the world makes even less sense.

Anonymous said...

I agree with # 3. Your sitting below sea level and sinking further into the ground next to the Gulf which is like a warm bathtub of water. Of course the law of averages on hurricanes is going to catch up to you. I hope they rebuild the parts that are on higher ground and let the areas that are the lowest grow back as a natural floodplain. After te 1993 Mississippi River floods entire towns relocated to higher ground. There is no reason for all of us to foot a huge rebuilding now only to have the same thing happen again.

Jesse Jackson can STFU! I'm sick of the race card beoing played on everything that comes up. Don't even get me started on this reparations bs.

Glad you are enjoying your deck, we enjoyed it in April. As one who recently turned 40, things don't make any more sense as you age. The only difference is you can better choose what are priorities and which things are best ignored.

Tim

Sleepwalker said...

Walmart cares more about kids with awful diseases, jobs, and human life in general than any other organization on the planet. They even brought Napa Valley back from the brink of...of...well, surely it must have been something bad according to the commercial. Walmart taking over the world is a good thing, don't you know?

We hope to enjoy your deck again at some point in the future. Yes, we have received several dry-iced shipments of meat from QVC, and enjoyed all of them.

All this Katrina coverage on TV has been worse, in my opinion, than 9/11 when it happened. Maybe God is trying to tell us that he can blink and cause more destruction than a few disgruntled Islam extremists any day of the week. Hmm, who has more power over us?

The world making sense? Nope, ain't gonna happen. In the meantime, tie those camels tightly.