Sunday, June 06, 2004

WEAR MY ASS AS A HAT

I'm listening to King Crimson.

I'm drinking a glass of Shipyard Export Ale (from Shipyard Brewing Co. in Maine). It's deep gold in color, and it's wonderfully smooth and balanced. Notes of pine and butter, followed by a nice hop snap.

Now, it's Elvis ("Spanish Eyes").

Well, I've come to a much belated decision. I'm quitting one of my jobs. It's a particularly miserable job at a certain shipping company that uses brown trucks. I'm always hesitant to quit a job because I'm a cowardly routine addict. I've suffered before as a result of this disease, and it's a cruel malady indeed. It also made me stay in some shitty relationships out of some feeling of loyalty.
Anyway, working my ass off before the sun comes up every morning without any satisfaction is not my gig. Hard work is great. Being a cog in a machine is quite another matter. I couldn't even spend any quality time with my wife during the week.
I won't get into the details of why it sucked so bad, at least not beyond a few key points:
1)shitty schedule
2)only 20-25 hours a week, so I have to work another job
3)the management's absolute indifference to employees' misery
4)conscientiousness and attention to detail are drawbacks if they slow your production
5)you get to see a printout of how you fail to meet expectations every day
6)I already sprained my lumbar once. I don't know about you, but I wasn't very enamored of needing my wife to take my shoes off for me.

Now, I will be even more impecunious than ever. I will have more time to search for jobs that don't exist. More importantly, I will make breakfast for Lindsey each morning, and send her off to work with her tea. I will do crazy things like go for walks and write and read. Until now, my hobbies have been primarily sleeping and eating junk food (no time or energy to cook real food), along with spending money on crap I don't need just to divert myself from the problem.
I am excited. Being poor sucks, but I was a grumpy son of a bitch at these two jobs, and still pretty poor. Now I can braise pork shoulders for hours and hours and hours, and maybe brew beer.

By the way, I'm just not showing up tomorrow at work. It's a shitty thing to do, and I wasn't brought up that way, but fuck 'em. I have my reasons. I said, "If something doesn't change, I won't be back on Monday." I was blown off by my supervisors (they are brainwashed, stupid, or they simply like their jobs - maybe all three). If I gave two weeks' notice, they'd probably make me train my successor which is a big pain in the ass. Several people told me that I was a rarity in that particular work area, in that I was the only one that hadn't quit. I guess that says something about me. Hopefully it's an admirable trait somewhere.

No comments: