Tuesday, July 06, 2004

The Classics

Years ago, when I was a studly young English major, I read a good deal of what is called classic literature. I read works of Homer, Virgil, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, Thucydides, Tacitus, Seneca, and more. I am currently reading The Odyssey again, and I will do likewise with The Iliad (out of order, I suppose). I have the books in my boxes back in Michigan (I assume Mom hasn't sold them yet), but I bought new ones to read here in North Carolina. Barnes & Noble and Borders both offer many works of literature cheaply under their own brands. Perhaps I was reminded of these by the release of the movie Troy. I haven't seen the film; I doubt I will bother. Given the track record of the American film industry, there is simply too high a probability that the movie is a peanut-encrusted turd.

At any rate, I'm enjoying the book more than I did the first time. I love the grandeur of the characters, and I savor the language. I wish we, as modern citizens of the world, spoke with more gravity. Here are some examples:

The wind keeps blowing out this cheapass little propane grill.
translation:
Oh, that this grill were more richly wrought; mighty Aeolus, god of winds, doth vex me.

You keep leaving the toilet seat up.
translation:
Oft times have you left the throne unprepared for me.

God only knows how you get laid.
translation:
Aegis-bearing Zeus has left the secret of your manhood unknown.

Paper or plastic, sir?
translation:
The path that the immortal gods have chosen for you is a difficult one; wouldst thou carry your barley in well-sown sacks or in amphorae?

Get the hell out of the left lane, you moron.
translation:
Oh, if only clear-eyed Athena would plant zeal in your breast, for to speed your travels.

I think it would be a better world to live in if we talked that way.

1 comment:

Mr. Waterhouse said...

I find, and you may find too, if you, indeed, look toward 1850s New England sometime, that your sentences lengthen. Other things may lengthen too, but that is mere conjecture on my part.