Wednesday, July 14, 2004

There's a Bar within Stumbling Distance!


We spent our first day fiddling around with the house today. We are starting to feel it sinking in. Ownership. Nesting. Territorialism. Disbelief. Any confusion which I ever had regarding why Home Depot is a successful company is long gone.

I feel the need for a real job very acutely now. I need tools. I need appliances. I need materials. The stove works, but it's a rattly old hunk of shit. The cedar siding needs to be stained. The deck is structurally sound, but a whole truckload of new wood sure would look nicer. Our back yard is a forest; some stone-paved paths and a gazebo back there might be nice.

Actually, I'm just in a period of overwhelmedness right now. My job situation remains a steady source of misery, but a house doesn't really change that. It just provides an opportunity to be preoccupied by it. A lot of what we are doing right now is actually pretty cheap. Lindsey is scraping the popcorn acoustic stuff off the ceilings, and I'm fixing stuff (a wiggly deck board, a barely attached mailbox, removing a pile of half-rotten firewood under the deck, some sketchy door hardware, a furnace air filter that was so old that it had deeper shag than the carpet, an exterior light fixture which apparently hides a wasps' nest behind its dangling facade, et cetera). I'm no carpenter, but I think I can surpass the workmanship on the guest bathroom's vanity. The hinges are the hardware equivalent of Britney Spears. They wiggle, and they will probably fall apart soon.

We will do a bit of painting as well. It seems that our predecessor entrusted the painting of all the trim in the house to a seven year-old spastic. The closet door in the master bedroom is either an original and very valuable Jackson Pollock painting or just a hell of a sloppy door.

But those are cosmetic things. The furnace is brand new, the water heater is rather new, and the roof is only four or five years old. We have 1/3 of an acre of woods to call a back yard. A lake is less than 100 yards from our door (ducks included).

AND....

There is a bar, which has good beer on tap, within walking distance. I enjoyed a Highland Gaelic Ale this afternoon. I am very, very pleased about that. We have one of the less impressive houses in a very nice neighborhood. Given time and a couple of bucks, it will be a hell of a home.

3 comments:

Scott said...

What!? You discovered the house first, the bar second??
Have fun. Bond with your home. Making it better and making it yours is a very gratifying experience.

Mr. Waterhouse said...

I envy you, dear Christopher. Despite your "bitching," I think you know what a charmed existence you have--Lindsay (sp?), a deck, and good strong beer. By the way, escrow records are public and Home Depot, et al., tap those (pun intended) for potential clients. Mystery solve.

Mister Orange said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.