Thursday, July 15, 2004

Not Sufficiently Controversial


Lately I have written mostly about my house or my job situation. I have been remiss in my self-appointed job of bitching about something in the wider world. I will attempt to make amends.

Same-Sex Marriage:
If you don't approve of homosexual marriage, then don't have one. A great many people, preaching from their morally bankrupt soapbox, decry the "threat to the institution of marriage." What threat? What the hell are you talking about? The threat to marriage (and allow me to point out that 1 in 2 heterosexual marriages fails these days) comes from people who get married but shouldn't have, from asshole men who beat their wives, and from people who can't or don't remain faithful to their spouse. I fail to see how a union of two men or two women down the street is going to split up your home.
I respect marriage. I would not have pledged to share my life with one other person if I didn't. I do not, however, waste my time criticizing other people's relationships. I'm going to pay attention to mine. I actually expect to see gay marriages do better than traditional ones statistically. Some of these people have waited decades for this. That's a long engagement.

The opponents of gay marriage are fond of citing Holy Scripture. They miss some important parts, however. Here's what Jesus says in Matthew 22:34-40:
But when the Pharisees had heard that he had put the Sadducees to silence, they were gathered together. Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked him a question, tempting him, and saying, "Master, which is the great commandment in the law?" Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Funny, I can't seem to find the verse where Jesus says "Except fags and dykes. Don't cut 'em any slack." The New Testament is full of parables and exhortations to love, forgive, and do good deeds. God didn't appoint you judge, George W. Bush, so fuck off. No one is getting away with anything; the price of sin is between a person and the Lord. Holier-than-thou, reactionary assholes are not in the equation.

No comments: