Tuesday, July 20, 2004

The Primary

(listening to "Automatic Blues" by The Cult)
I'm going to get off my ass and vote in a few minutes here.  I'm going to try and defeat my cynicism.
 
I suppose Linda Ronstadt should know better than to use her stage as a soapbox (she's paid to perform, not talk politics), but it's too bad the audience reacted in such a McCarthyesque fashion.  I haven't gotten around to seeing Fahrenheit 9/11 yet; I suppose I'm not in the mood to be outraged.  I'm too busy painting the master bedroom closet.
 
I'm not particularly Left or Right; I just think that things should be questioned.  The U.S. system is not perfect, but, given lots of questioning and participation on the part of its constituents, it provides a reasonable chance of common sense prevailing.  A sense of humor is also required.  Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger of California called some Democrats "girly men," using the old Saturday Night Live bit.  The Democrats are offended.  Get over yourselves, you assholes.  You're just jealous of a governor who is popular but isn't as spineless and slimy as most politicians.  The SNL joke poked fun at Arnold, so he's entitled to use the joke.  I think that being easily offended is a character flaw, not an excuse for righteous indignation.
 
"This Land" is a funny video.
 
(listening to "Two Step" by Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds, the acoustic version)
 
Closer to home, things are proceeding on the house.  I grilled some Italian sausages and corn on the cob last night for our dinner break on the deck.  Starbucks is still hysterically miserable, but I have an interview later this week.



2 comments:

Scott said...

I'm not sure the audience was being "McCarthyesque"; I heard Linda's entire performance sucked and maybe her tirade was just the proverbial last straw.
Amen...I think one of the biggest difficulties we face is that too many people take themselves far too seriously.
Re: your house, grilling on the deck, etc- as with so many events that have occurred in the last 11 years, I keep thinking of how Dad would be pleased.
Kick ass in your interview.

Scott said...

Totally unrelated to your post- how come "Brazil" isn't listed in the Top 100 in your linked Best Movies site?