Sunday, October 31, 2004

The Chandelier of Unnumbered Tears


 Posted by Hello
Who would have thought that such an innocent little project would be so hellishly difficult? I'm just glad that monstrous fan didn't crash into our morning cereal; the ignint sum-bitch who installed it decided to attach it to the joist with not much more than you would use to hold a picture on a wall.
Oh well, only three trips to Home Depot and a good spell in the itchy, cramped hell that is my attic were necessary to get it done. I swore prolifically, and my wife felt bad for initiating the project. I suppose I would have refused to do it had I known what a hysterically inconvenient installation it was going to be, but I'm pleased with the results. Also, a 30-pound (I don't know, the cursed thing felt heavy, anyway) ceiling fan clattering down onto one's meal is something I'm happy to have prevented.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Very nice. Yes, a standard home-improvement project: more time and pain than anticipated, the thrill of discovering frighteningly half-assed work by the previous owner, and satisfaction. And it's not truly a project unless there's blood involved at some point.
Recently I replaced the hideous ceiling fan/light combo we inherited, after it scared the crap out of Elise and I by showering sparks all over the table.
Is that new artwork on the wall too?

Sleepwalker said...

We have no projects undoing what previous homeowners have done (if we do, we have a big problem!) but already the wear and tear in this house is showing. Luckily I think I can operate a caulk gun.

Nothing too hideous for us to undo in the last house, just some crappy paint jobs. Okay, the mold problem did make me scream. We tried to correct the grade that sloped *toward* the house, but it would have taken too many very expensive truckloads of dirt. We enjoyed hearing the stories from neighbors and previous owners of which step the water came up to during the various times the lower level had flooded.

The light fixture is a huge improvement, and good luck with your next projects.